Goodbye to The Founder of the Writer's Block Blog

When I initially picked up my class schedule for my first year of college, I was a little nervous. But I thought, hey everyone else are freshmen also, so it’s fine. That was until my advisor told me that I was going to be taking a class called Writer’s Block with a few upperclassmen. My heart sank. How did I end up in class with upperclassmen? 

The class was only on Wednesday mornings for fifty minutes; how bad could it be? I walked into class on that first Wednesday and sat down in the circle of chairs. I recognized no one. Throughout the class the professor seemed to call on this one guy a lot and always complimented his work. His name is Will. 

As the semester progressed, I got to know Will through his writing. While reading and listening to his work, I could tell he put his heart and soul into it. Will always wrote precisely and with a purpose. Whether he was remembering a Mount faculty member that had passed away on Dateline or he was explaining a theory on why Pennywise is a Metaphor For Mental Illness on the Writer’s Block Blog, he speaks from the heart. He loves what he does and it is evident through his writing. 

I don’t really know Will that well personally, but I’m writing about him because he is graduating this year. He is a big part of Writer’s Block and I wanted to give him a Writer’s Block farewell. 

Over the last four years, Will has been the foundation of this blog. If you look through the pages, you will see Will’s name pop up a multitude of times. His dedication to the blog just goes to show you how much he loves writing. He’s not in it for the credit hour: he’s in it because he loves what he does. He makes think of John Keating from the Dead Poets Society. They both bring life and joy into the lives of those around them.

If there was one phrase I could say to wish Will a farewell it would be… “Carpe diem. Seize the day, … Make your life extraordinary”. I have no doubt that Will is going to make the lives of everyone he meets extraordinary.

Comments