Freshman Year Reflection

 Freshman Year Reflection

My first year at college did not at all go how I envisioned it would go. I was convinced that I would absolutely hate it and want to go home every opportunity I got, but it has honestly been the opposite of that. All of the nights I spent in the summer working myself up over the fear of the unknowns that would come with this year were quite honestly a waste. The experiences that I’ve made and the friends that came with them have made this year a year I won’t forget. 

My first semester was a little less eventful, but believe it or not, my disgust for mayonnaise bonded me close to two of my really good friends here. Scraping mayonnaise off of a sandwich in the dining hall is not the ideal way to make friends, but I’m thankful for it. Becoming friends with them was really good for my development as a person because they made me start getting involved in different campus events with them, which is not something I would have done on my own. In hindsight, I can’t believe I missed out on all of those things. 

My second semester was when I really started to enjoy being here. I have really great memories from the first semester, but the second semester was when I actually started to look forward to coming back to campus after being home for the weekend. I was making more friends and getting even more involved. My faith has grown since being here as well, which is one of the only requests that I had for wherever I ended up going. I came here because I felt like it was where I was being led, and despite it being one of my last choices for a college, the more time I spend here, the more that feeling is confirmed. 

As always, my fears were all for nothing. Everything works out the way it should, I just need to trust that and enjoy the ride. I am so thankful for all of the experiences that I have had so far and all of the friends that I’ve made since being here at the Mount. I am excited to see what the future holds!


Comments